The best time to take an exotic girlfriend getaway is in fall. When all the kids are back in school, vacation places usually cut their prices and resorts are less crowded. Cost for flying and accommodation are usually cheaper during the fall season compared to the summer high season.
Before you make your reservations read Travelmath’s best 5 exotic girlfriend getaways for fall:
One: Santorini Islands Greece
Santorini is the precious gem of the Aegean Sea. It is made up of the islands of Thira, Thirassia, Aspronissi, Palea and Nea Kameni.
Fira the capital of the islands, Oia, Imerovigli and Firostefani are called the “Caldera’s eyebrow” – the balcony of Santorini. These villages are built high on the cliffs with whitewashed buildings, the famous blue domed churches and narrow cobblestone paths.
5 things to do with your girlfriends while in Santorini Islands-
1. Watch the sunset.
2. Go for a gastronomic experience.
3. Visit the wineries.
4. Stay in a cave also known as yposkafo.
5. Walk in the cobblestone streets of Oia and Fira.
Two: San Pedro Belize
The once fishing village of San Pedro offers affordable and boutique style lodgings by the beach with coconut and palm trees swaying while you sip your favorite tropical drinks or Belikin the local beer on a hammock.
Golf carts and bicycles are the main types of transportation. Belize City, the largest city in Belize is only a two hour 25 minute flight from Houston. United Airlines is the only airline that flies directly from Houston to Belize City.
5 things to do with your girlfriends while in Belize-
1. Visit a Mayan ruin. We recommend Xunantunich or Lamanai.
2. Try Belizian cuisine of rice and beans with fish and seafood. Conch season starts in September.
3. Rent a bicycle or a golf cart.
4. Try parasailing, snorkeling, kitesurfing, diving or boating.
5. Relax and have a spa treatment at Sol Spa.
Three: St. Maarten
St. Maarten is an important cruise port in the Caribbean. For those who prefer to fly into Philipsburg, St. Maarten’s capital, there are 23 airlines that fly into the island. American Airlines, JetBlue, United Airlines and Delta are the American carriers that serve St. Maarten.
St. Maarten’s beaches are the perfect place to relax and enjoy the sunshine and beaches. It also provides plenty of nightlife and entertainment options.
5 things to do with your girlfriends while in St. Maarten-
1. Witness a jumbo jet landing at Maho Beach near Princess Juliana International Airport.
2. Experience nightlife in St. Maarten.
3. Try stand-up paddle boarding or snorkeling in Pinel Island.
4. Catch the sunset at a beach bar.
5. Have a French food dining experience at the French side of the island.
Further reading on St. Maarten.
Four: Finger Lakes New York
Conde Nast Traveler voted Mirbeau Inn and Spa in Skaneateles Finger Lakes as one of the top 20 U.S. resorts. Spa Mirbeau offers fitness classes including Pilates, yoga on a daily basis, skin care, clothing and wellness talks and their spa treatments.
This award-winning spa facility has 18 treatment rooms with fireplaces, private sound systems and radiant heat flooring, 19 changing rooms with herbal infused steam rooms and dry saunas, resting places by a hot spa pool and stone fireplace and an Aqua Terrace where there is a hot spa pool with massage jets.
Mirbeau is the best place to get rejuvenated and energized with your girlfriends before the winter cold. The Finger Lakes area offers many wine tasting tours, farm to table restaurants and is a four hour 35 minute scenic drive from New York City.
5 things to do with your girlfriends while in the Finger Lakes-
1. Take a scenic road trip to see the fall colors.
2. Take a wine tasting tour either to Keuka Lake Wine Trail or the Cayuga Wine Trail.
3. Visit Auburn, the historical town of the Finger Lakes. Seward House Historical Museum is a must visit museum in the area.
4. Get a spa treatment in Mirbeau.
5. Visit Skaneateles shops and cafés.
Five: Montauk Long Island
Montauk is a two hour 43 minute drive from New York City and six hours 54 minutes from Washington D.C. (without traffic). The beaches are world renowned and quiet during the fall when the summer crowds are gone.
The Montauk Lighthouse completed in 1796 is one of the most photographed lighthouses in the world. It is a National Historic Landmark and tours are provided with a fee.
Montauk is an ideal destination for girlfriend getaways because you can combine a spa package with shopping, wine tours, theatre, history, art and antiquing.
5 things to do with your girlfriends while in Montauk Long Island-
1. Eat seafood at Gosman’s Dock or Mediterranean cuisine at Harvest on Fort Pond.
2. Relax at the Seawater Spa, Gurney’s Montauk.
3. Visit the Lighthouse.
4. Wine tasting tour.
5. Go fishing inshore on a charter boat. Striped Bass, Bluefish, Porgies and Blackfish are in season during the fall.
Do you have any suggestions for a Girlfriend Getaway? Let us know.